Need a vet? Call one today.
Your pets deserve the best healthcare. A sick or injured pet is scary, but finding a local veterinarian shouldn't be.Call (877)543-0345
Veterinarians Near Ashburn, Virginia, 20146
43330 Junction Plaza Blvd #172, Ashburn, VA 22066
10 More Plants That Are Poisonous to Cats and Other Animals
Plants certainly make one of the prettiest home decorations. But did you know not all of them are safe for your pets? That’s true! The plants and flowers that you are using in your patios or to decorate our home interiors might actually be harmful to your little furry friends. If ingested, they may cause a lot of adverse reactions such as stomach upset, respiratory disorders or even death. As a caring pet owner, therefore, it’s your responsibility to know what plants are safe for your pets and what not, so you can protect them from any toxicity or mishap.
Following is a list of 10 such common household plants that are poisonous to animals and must be kept out of reach of your pets:
1) Dieffenbachia: Also known as Dumb Cane, dieffenbachia is a plant commonly found in homes and offices. If ingested by a dog, it can cause certain allergic reactions such as intense oral irritation, nausea, vomiting, drooling, difficulty swallowing and a burning sensation of the lips, tongue, and mouth. It can also cause the dog’s esophagus to swell, potentially blocking the airway.
2) Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera is another common household plant known for its medicinal properties and several health benefits. Although considered a therapeutic plant for humans, ingesting aloe vera can cause mild to moderate toxicity in cats and dogs. Some of the allergic toxic reactions associated with the ingestion of aloe vera include diarrhea, vomiting, depression, lethargy, tremors, anorexia, and change in urine color.
3) Kalanchoe: Also known as the Mother-In-Law plant, Kalanchoe is a popular garden plant having small dense beautiful flowers. This plant contains components that, when ingested, can cause gastrointestinal irritation, vomiting and diarrhea. It can also seriously affect cardiac rhythm and rate. Heart arrhythmias can also occur from poisoning – it’s very rare though.
4) Ivy: Many popular ivy plants, such as English ivy and Devil’s ivy, are toxic to pets. If ingested, they can cause mouth and stomach irritation, foaming at the mouth, excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and swelling of the mouth, tongue and lips.
5) Castor Beans: It is an ornamental tropical plant which contains a well-known poison – Ricin. Although all parts of the plant are toxic, this toxic compound Ricin is mainly present in the bean of the castor oil plant. Ingestion of even an ounce of seeds can be lethal for dogs and cats. Some of its symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea excessive thirst, twitching, seizures, tremors, comas or even death. It can also burn a dog’s mouth and throat.
6) Cyclamen: Also known as Sowbread, the Cyclamen is a common household plant with pretty flowers and unfortunately, poisonous properties as well. As such, they are toxic to both cats and dogs. Although this entire flowering plant is poisonous, the highest concentration of the toxicity is present in its root portion. If ingested, cyclamen can cause severe symptoms such as gastrointestinal irritation, intense vomiting diarrhea, seizures, heart abnormalities, and even death.
7) Amaryllis: It is a popular garden plant with pretty flowers that are commonly seen around Easter. However, these lovely ornamentals are poisonous to both dogs and cats. Its toxins are mainly concentrated in the bulbs. If ingested, the plant can cause abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, diarrhea, excessive drooling, tremors and anorexia.
8) Chrysanthemum: This flowering plant with a strong fragrance can be commonly found in gardens and around the homes. The flowers of chrysanthemum contain pyrethrins which if ingested may cause gastrointestinal problems such as diarrhea, vomiting, and hypersalivation. Depending on the amount consumed, it can also cause depression and loss of coordination in certain cases.
9) Pothos: Although the toxicity is mild, this household plant is still something to watch out for if you have pets. If chewed or ingested, pothos can cause intense burning and irritation of mouth, tongue and lips, vomiting and excessive drooling. It can also cause swelling of the oral tissues and other parts of the gastrointestinal tract.
10) Tomato Plant: Well, who could resist the pleasant smell of freshly picked tomatoes! But, unfortunately, it is not good for your dogs and cats. Although tomato plant may not be lethal, it can still cause a certain amount of discomfort. And, therefore, you need to make your that your pets can’t reach them easily. Ingestion of tomato plant and its leaves may cause severe gastrointestinal upset, diarrhea, inappetence, vomiting, hypersalivation, lethargy, weakness, confusion, behavioral changes, drowsiness, CNS depression, slow heart rate and dilated pupils.
For the complete list of plants that can be poisonous to pets, visit The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA).
If your pet ingests any of these plants, take it to the vet immediately. Even if the amount ingested is small, it’s always good to be on a safer side. Timely diagnosis and treatment is extremely important to save your pet from any big trouble.