Need a vet? Call one today.
Your pets deserve the best healthcare. A sick or injured pet is scary, but finding a local veterinarian shouldn't be.Call (877)543-0345
Veterinarians Near Ashburn, Virginia, 20146
43330 Junction Plaza Blvd #172, Ashburn, VA 22066
77 FUN FACTS ABOUT ANIMALS YOU’LL WANT TO SHARE WITH YOUR FRIENDS
The animal kingdom has no shortage of extraordinary creatures with amazing abilities. All creatures great and small come with their own quirks and random facts that are fun, absurd, interesting and downright entertaining!
Here are just a few of our favorites, you’ll want to share with your friends:
SEA FOR YOURSELF
- A blue whale’s heart is the size of a small car.
- The seahorse is the slowest fish, moving at 0.01 miles per hour.
- A duck’s quack does not echo.
- A baby eel is called an elver.
- Starfish don’t have brains.
- The tigerfish can swim backwards.
- Frogs have teeth, but toads don’t.
- Galapagos tortoises sleep for 16 hours a day, and can go a while year without food or water.
- Frogs can freeze without dying.
- Sharks and stingrays are immune to all known diseases, including cancer.
- Crocodile dung was used by Egyptians as a contraceptive in 2,000 B.C.
- Fish can get seasick.
- A crocodile’s tongue is attached to the roof of its mouth, and it can’t move it.
- A shrimp’s heart is found in its head.
- Octopuses can taste by using their arms.
- The lifespan of a housefly is 14 days.
- Wombat poop comes in the shape of a cube.
- Squirrels accidentally plant millions of trees by forgetting where they’ve buried nuts.
- Turtles can breathe through their bums!
- Female horses have fewer teeth than male horses.
- A snail can sleep for three years.
- Nearly three per cent of Antarctic ice glaciers are made up of penguin pee!
- Sea otters hold paws when asleep, so they don’t drift apart.
- Rats will laugh when tickled.
- Squirrels adopt other abandoned baby squirrels.
- Dolphins have names for each other.
- Puffins made for life.
- Gentoo penguins use a pebble to propose to their girlfriends.
- In the winter, reindeer eyes turn blue.
- Mischievous Japanese Macaque monkeys make snowballs for fun.
A WILD LIFE
- The milk of a hippopotamus is bright pink.
- Ants are the longest living insects.
- Giraffes have no vocal chords and can’t cough.
- Giraffes use their 20-inch long black tongues to clean their ears.
- Polar bears are left-handed.
- Only two species of gorillas exist in today’s world.
- The Metro Goldwyn Mayer lion lived in Memphis.
- Not all black bears are black.
- The elephant is the only animal that can’t jump.
- An adult panda can spend 12 hours a day eating
- Zebra stripes fend off bugs
- All polar bears are left-handed (or pawed).
- Giraffes have no vocal chords.
- The milk of a camel doesn’t curdle.
- Kangaroos can’t fart.
- Monkeys can understand written numbers and can count.
- Gorillas use slang when communicating.
- Otters have the world’s thickest fur.
- Deers can run up to 30 miles per hour.
THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS
- The cat is the only domestic animal not mentioned in the Bible.
- Guinea pigs and rabbits can’t sweat.
- Cat urine glows under black lights.
- Dogs are as smart as a two-year-old.
- A cat’s jaw can’t move sideways.
- Unlike cats and dogs, a rabbit’s eyes do not reflect in bright lights.
- Cats were considered demi-Gods in Ancient Egypt.
- Dog’s whiskers help them see in the dark.
- Dog’s nose prints are just as unique as fingerprints are to humans.
- Bats can’t walk.
- Butterflies taste with their feet.
- A group of owls is called a parliament.
- Pigeons are monogamous and co-parent their chicks.
- Moths can track a mate’s scene from miles away.
- Budgies that have learned to talk do not known the meaning of words, but simply just how to mimic
- Bats always turn left when flying out of a cave.
- Cows can’t walk down stairs.
- The bottom of a horse’s hoof is called a frog.
- Turtles can recognize faces.
- Pigs like to sleep nose-to-nose.
- Research has found that cows produce more milk when listening to slow music.
- Cows form close bonds and even have best friends.
- A catfish’s skin is covered in over a quarter of a million taste buds.
- A cockroach can live for more than a week without its head.
- The flesh above a turkey’s bill is called a snood.
- Pigs have 15,000 taste buds – more than twice as many as humans.
- There are over 1 billion sheep in the world.
- Much like humans, chickens dream.
Here are a few more fun facts awaiting discovery on other websites too: